Thursday, October 07, 2004

High Land, Hard Rain

So what was it about that album? It's one that sticks in my mind as defining a time. I guess because it's the one that showed that you can do indie soul and that you don;t have to hide the fact that you can play in order to keep some edge to the music. Maybe it's just that the songs were so great.

Aztec Camera had been around a couple of years. I adored Just Like Gold but over the next few years didn't have the dosh to buy records, so I missed the build up I suppose. Suddenly there was a whole album, and it was even BETTER. Oblivious seened to say it all, so did The Boy Wonders, Walk Out To Winter was pop genius, and just as you get ready for the let down it's The Bugle Sounds Again and We Could Send Letters revisited. We're halfway through the album and it've been bliss all the way.

I still do a version of Down The Dip. It's one of the songs I used to busk, and made good money with (sorry Roddy I suppose I owe royalties). Though my favourite is the second last track, Back On Board.

Maybe that's a lot of what I love about the album. It had great love sings that weren't sentimental or dumb, and I was in love and trying very hard not to be sentimental and dumb. Whatever. It's the album that had the song that named the blog, so it gets the first post.

"So here we go, digging through those dustbins, giving things new names."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home