Friday, October 08, 2004

Could Have Been Bigger Than The Beatles

I'm currently listening to I Was A Mod Before You Was A Mod and wondering what's the current state of Dan Treacy. It's very dated in a way, but very pure, and above all it's dated in a parallel universe rather than this one.

He's a hell of a songwriter is Dan. Aside from giving glimses into a wonderfully skewed vision of the world, there's some moments of real poetry amidst the music hall style semi-doggerel. The fun, humour, and sheer "sanity" always stayed in my mind, but it's only when I'm listening that I remember quite how absorbing a TV Personalities gig used to be.

One day somebody is going to discover the TVP's back catalogue and rework them to be slick, modern and poppy, and we're all going to wonder why Pulp made it big instead. OK, I know, I've seen both Dan and Jarvis Cocker from a few feet away and when you get to the bottom line a lot of success is a matter of selling what you've got. Still, I'd really like to spend an evening at a gig marvelling at the wonders of Planet Treacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home