Tuesday, October 26, 2004

D' Ye Ken

John Peel has died of a heart attack whilst on holiday in Cuzco, Peru.

He was one of the few if my real heroes I've never managed to meet in person. Not only did he have a truly great radio voice and a wonderfully dry and sane sense of humour, he opened the way for just about everything I care about in music. Without him the music wouldn't have been made because there couldn't have been the cross fertilisation of reggae, punk, rock, blues, folk and African music that made punk explode into a huge range of marvellous new musics.

I suppose a lot of us owe him a debt that can never be quantified let alone repaid. He taught me that once you understand the rudiments of the blues you can figure out a way to get into pretty much any form of music that's been produced by musicians who care.

Gone, but I hope never forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home